Wednesday, April 09, 2008

First Roster "Shake-Up"

I made my first deviation for my AL-Only 4x4 team. No, it wasn't a trade, but it was a change is player assessment.

I drafted Tigers' middle reliever Jason Grilli based on two facts 1. The Tigers had no one to back-up the aged Todd Jones and 2. Grilli was coming off consecutive 50+ appearance seasons. My tenative conclusion was Grilli would get the back-up closer's role.

After his first two appearances, I changed course. He did not pitch in the 8th inning in either one and pitched poorly in both. When $1 Dennis Sarfate was available on the waiver wire, I grabbed him and jettisoned Grilli.

Yesterday, Grilli made his 3rd appearance, and 1st not on my team, and allowed multiple earned runs and hits. Whew! I half expected Grilli's 1st post-my team appearance to be a good one with a win.

Next on the watch list: Eric O'Flaherty

No comments: