Sunday, June 12, 2005

Jason Schmidt

Yahoo! Sports - MLB - Box Score

No doubt, I could have held-off acquiring Schmidt. Last night's pitching line was ugly - 6 hits and 3 BB.

However, as I now have vested interest in defending my decision to aquire him, and I do not want to accept the objective conclussion that I made a bad move (google Cognitive Dissonance), I can point to a couple indicators that he has turned the corner.

1st, he struck out 7. This may not mean much as any pitcher can catch any team on a bad day, but he did do it.

Next, the SF Chronicle reports his velocity was up. Again, any pitcher can have a good stretch were his velocity is up after previously having been down, but up it was.

And finally, Jason Ellison misplayed a ball that was ruled a double. If he did not misplay it or it was ruled an error, then Schmidt's line would have been different 0- not necessarily improved but certainly different.

He bears watching, and I will definitely be reading the People's Republic of San Francisco papers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're kidding, right? It doesn't matter how his velocity is, if by the time he finishes the 4th inning he's thrown 85+ pitches - you'll never get production with those kind of numbers. I mean I understand how you want your trade to work - but giving up 6 runs in 5 innings to the Indians - who had to fire Hall of Famer Eddie Murray as hitting coach - which has been one of the worst hitting teams this season is definately not good.