Monday, June 13, 2005

Nate Ravitz USAToday Chat

USATODAY.com Chat Transcript

I hate reading statement like this:

West Lafayette, IN: Nate, thanks for taking my question: I'm in a AL-only, roto-keepers league. I'm 8 points out of first in 4th place and want to see if I can make a move without scuttling next year's team. I have three closers with Batista ($21), Hermanson ($4) and McDougal ($1). McDougal's worth is questionable, but should I move Batista or Hermanson hoping McDougal will carry me in saves?
Nate Ravitz: I would say move Batista since he's not a keeper at that price, but relying on the other two would be very risky. I'd be very surprised if MacDougal finishes with 15 saves.

Say what?!?!?! Every closer is a keeper at $21 in an AL-only league. I have a hard time believing Batista went for $21 in a shallow league espeically since the Hermanson for $4 and MacDougal for $1 portions clearly indicate both were drafted. Again, a shallow league would not have drafted MacDougal at all and Hermanson for $4.

I started this blog to counter this type of faulty advice. FWIW, if someone can get a 20/80 hitter for MacD, they should do it.

Another one from the chat:

Camp As Saliyah, Qatar: Nate, What in the world is going on with Jason Schmidt. He was the first pitcher I drafted and he's been the albatross of my staff. Should I try and trade or will he turn it around?
Nate Ravitz: I know his velocity is down and his bullpen is weak, for starters. I'd deal him if you can still get type A value for him, otherwise I'd hold.

While Mr. Ravitz does not say acquiring Schmidt for less that "Type A" value is wise, it is implied.

Would anyone argue that a package of Jerome Williams, Cory Hart and Brian Moehler is "Type A" value?

(Assumption: Type A value means top-notch value.)

No comments: