Thursday, January 05, 2006

Jay Payton

He did well last year after griping his way out of Boston. I'd expect him to do the same this season given 400 ABs. (Produce not gripe.)

What worries me is whether Oakland will keep him all year with such a poor OBP. I know the A's have shifted towards defense but could the organization really suffer through a .310 OBP without exploring trade options with other teams who like his 4X4 numbers better?

Couldn't a good defensive OF with better OBP and a cheaper salary be found?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not a big fan of players demanding trades, overly complaining, yada yada. Payton did get his way and actually done better than I thought he would in Oakland. Of course, his low OBP if not improved could be his ticket out. I give him a 50/50 shot of being traded by July.

Anonymous said...

Payton's reported actions surprised me.

He did well, though, so I would expect more of the same the next time he gets unhappy.

I can't see Payton lasting the year in Oakland. A one-year contract and a hurt OF on a another contender will have Beane buring up the phone lines.

If he even makes it to Opening Day as an A.