Sunday, March 25, 2007

Alberto Callaspo

Johnson sharp in 'B' game: "Alberto Callaspo saw his first action in the outfield, playing left field in the 'B' game. Callaspo, who will fill a utility role, has had a terrific camp, hitting .438 in 48 at-bats and showing an ability to adapt to any position.


With an all right-handed hitting outfield, Callaspo, a switch-hitter, could start occasionally in left field against tough right-handed pitchers."



Callaspo is slowing moving-up my sleeper list. With Dave Krynzel and Scott Hairston along with their catchers, Miguel Montero and Chris Snyder, I think the DBacks are going to be one of the top sources of NL sleepers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The problem with Callaspo is that he probably wont hit for much power and hasnt showed much in the way of speed. He'll hit for average but what if he struggles? From a fantasy statistics perspective, he doesnt seem like a strong pick as I have been wrestling with his projections for the year.

Anonymous said...

I have Callaspo on my roster from a September call-up last season. I'm skeptical that he'll be able to produce during the regular season as a part-time player. I'm inclined to take these spring training stats with a huge grain of salt so I'm not convinced this is the real deal. I'm throwing him back in and might pick him up as a free agent for a few dollars if he's around in one of the final rounds.

Anonymous said...

I think Callaspo will get his atbats from everything that is coming out in statements in AZ. The question will be how will those atbats translate fantasy-wise. I think he's got the potential to be a good baseball player but I am skeptical that he will be a good fantasy baseball player unless he steals some bases and hits for at least moderate power. He's not going to drive in runs and unless he bats leadoff, probably wont get to take advantage of the runs category. So basically you have a guy that could hit for a nice average but probably wont get 400 ABs unless someone gets hurt. Just my $.02.. again... BTW, I have him at $1 from last year's callup ;)

Anonymous said...

As the 14th man on an NL-only roster, he is a good gamble.