Monday, June 09, 2008

Buying Low: Nick Swisher And The Chicago White Sox Hitters

From Steve Gardner's chat at USA Today:

Sparks,Nevada: Greetings Steve. From this point forward who is more productive. Konerko, Swisher, or C.Pena? Thanks

Steve Gardner: I drafted Konerko and Pena on my AL LABR team and I've since traded both of them, so that shows you where I stand to some degree. Of course, I they still have some value since another owner was willing to trade for them, but I don't see how it can go much lower. Konerko seems to be heating up a little (two hits in each of last three games), but his wrist has been bothering him for a while now. With Pena, we just might have to chalk up last season as a fluke since he's back to his old ways, striking out and hitting a handful of homers. I'd be the most confident in Swisher putting up the best numbers from here on out. He's healthy and young enough that he's not set in his ways. Plus, he gets on base. He's also had at least one run scored in each of the past 7 games.


I happen to agree on Swisher. As a matter of fact, I am very bullish on all the White Sox hitters and would recommned buying them low. As the temperature rises, U.S. Cellular will start turining flyballs to HRs. Jim Thome, Paul Konerko, Orlando Carbera, Juna Uribe. You name the White Sox hitter, and I like him.

Conversely, the South Siders' pitchers scare me. What works for their hitters will also work for the opposing team's hitters. I'd sell high on Gavin Floyd, Jose Contreras and John Danks. Of the three, I like Danks the most, but, if you can get Nick Swisher for any of them, I'd do it.

No comments: