Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Chase Utley

I have him at $10 going into his final year. I am going to raise him, likely to $20. That will lock his salary in for 2006, 2007 and 2008.

I received an offer of three draft picks for him. - 4th, 13th and 17th. Normally, I take three picks for a player already priced over $20, but with the lack of stud 2B, I do not see Utley as replacable via the draft at $20. And if I backed off my first ever two-year raise, then $15 would make him untouchable.

With my experience picking minor leaguers, I am confident I can land two decent players of the three picks. (I selected Utley in the 2nd in 2002. I took Miguel Cabrera #7 in 2003.)

What I don't want to lose sight of is the fact that whomever I pick won't be better than utley in 2006. And if Utley performs at his 2005 level, then I'd have to select a Miguel Cabrera to have a chance of breaking even. (A "Miguel Cabrera" is a player taken in the draft and comes up that season and contributes immediately in a no-doubt-about-it-way. Ryan Howard is that type of player. David Wright is too.)

No comments: