Thursday, August 24, 2006

Bobby Crosby

A week or so I ago, I wrote about acquiring $10 Bobby Crosby in a trade involving $34 Michael Young.

I then received this email from reader Paul C.:

"In a recent post, you mentioned you picked up Bobby Crosby, who is priced at $10, with an eye to next year. I've had Crosby on my AL 4x4 roto team since he was first in the majors, first as a waiver claim, and then through auction this year. (I paid $23 for him, which at the time I considered fair value.) After three+ years, I've now given up on him as a source of fantasy value. Except for about 6 weeks last year, Crosby is basically a .240 hitter, with middling power, some speed (useless, given that he plays for a team which refuses to steal), and extremely poor strike zone judgment. He is also extremely brittle. At this point, I'm not even sure that he would bring back $10 in value next year. Your best bet may be to flip him before next year's auction to someone who may still believe Crosby's press clippings. (Incidentally, I had been shopping him for the past month in my league, with no takers; I ended up including him in a trade basically as a throw-in to balance out positions...)”

Monday evening, Bobby Crosby came up with a bad back again, and, yesterday, there were reports the A’s may not DL him because the September 1st roster expansion was so close.

Needless to say, Paul’s email became more Nostradamus-esque.

However, in my rush to grasp at a reason why the A’s couldn’t possibly leave me with a dead roster spot for the remainder of the year (no way I cut bait after the price I paid with 1st place a statistical difficulty), I clung to the rationale that the A’s offense is so bad, it could not possibly go another 9 days short-handed.

After all, it already is with 7-hit Antonio Perez on the bench and Marcus Scutaro in the starting line-up!

Now I wait.

No comments: