Saturday, April 19, 2008

Possible David Ortiz Trade

I was recently offered Grady Sizemore and Casey Blake for Dave Ortiz and Travis Buck. In what may turn out to be a big mistake, I turned it down.

When I prepared my draft strategy for this season, I wanted to land a SB player and a HR hitter with an eye towards one with a good AVG. I landed Ortiz and $44 and figured him to be the perfect fit. To address SB, I bid $25 on Carlos Gomez.

With three weeks of the season nearly passed, those decisions have proven to be at the extremely poor (Ortiz) and extremely good (Gomez). Why did I turn down and offer for the struggling Ortiz that was one that offered no discount for the possibility that Ortiz is hurt?

I am not quite sold that Ortiz is in anything but a pro-longed slump, and I am not ready to toss my entire 2008 hitting strategy to the curb. With Sizemore, I would have excess SBs and need to find HRs while likely taking a hit in AVG by dealing Buck (expected .280)for Casey (expected .260 with job threat) and Ortiz (expected .300+) for Sizemore (expected .280).

Here's to the hope that Dave Ortiz's 2-5 last night with a grand slam marked the long climb towards .300+ and 35+ HRs.

No comments: