Monday, November 20, 2006

Reds Moves

Gm Wayne Krivsky continues to morph the free-swinging/walks-taking Reds into a more defense-minded team. He inked former Marlin and Red Sock Alex Gonzalez to a three-year $15MM contract.

I've heard nothing but plaudits for AGonz's defense. On that front, I would expect a slight plus for the Reds pitching staff. How much I can't determine.

What I can determine is AGonz will be predicted to match his 23 HR output from a couple years ago. Playing in Cincy's home park guarantees the prediction.

What concerns me is he has failed to hit double figures in either of the past two years. FWIW, he hit just 24 2Bs in Fenway, his lowest this decade minus an abreviated 2002. That combined with AGonz's inability to work a walk (career-high 33 in 8 major league seasons) will make me shy away for anything more than a couple dolalrs in NL-only leagues.

No comments: