Monday, November 06, 2006

Mark Teahen

In the "Comments" section of this post, a reader asked what I thought about the 2007 prospects for Royals 3B Mark Teahen. (Really, he asked, "I'm curious to know your thoughts on Mark Teahen. He seems to be the one with offensive projections all over the map.") My re-phrasing remains faithful to the intent, right?)

I believe he learned something after his demotion to AAA following his horrible start to the 2006 season (.194 AVG). When he returned he hit .313 through the first week of September when he was precautionarily shut down with a shoulder issue.

Assuming the shoulder is healthy, I expect Teahen to maintain a 2007 performance closer to his post-demotion numbers than his pre-demotion ones. I can't say I can comfortably pro-rate his half-season production (June/July/August 16 HRs) into 30+ HRs, although I have little doubt he will get priced into the $20s on draft days 2007.

That said, I'd be comfortable expecting 15-20 HRs and 10 SBs from him next season. That would place him in the $17 range on draftday.

No comments: