Saturday, June 11, 2005

Cory Hart

Baseball America - Stats

He is one of several Brewers prospects that have brought many accolades to the organization. Among the others are Richie Weeks, Prince Fielder, Dave Krynzel, Brad Nelson, Nelson Cruz, Jose Capellan, Ben Hendrickson.

Hart had great Spring Training but was still sent to AAA for regular playing time. Once there, he stunk up the joint by hitting in the mid-100s for all of April. This clearly removed any luster his hot Spring had provided.

Since then, he has done well, but his power is way down - 4 HR in 212 ABs (as in Brad Nelson's power.) This is a cause of concern as he does not draw walks at a high rate (only 1 per 12 plate appearances), and he is in the hitter friendly Pacific Coast League.

All said, I do like him best amongst the Sounds starting OF of Hart, Krynzel and Nelson. He has SB speed which will make him an intriguing Roto OF, but I do not believe he will have the power he exhibited at the lower levels.

I also believe he will get a shot sometime this season to play with the Brewers, and he may stay-up as the 2005 season is nearing the half-way point. There will be less ratonale to have him get more ABs in a AAA season that ends at the end of August.

When I weighed these beliefs, I included him in the Schmidt trade. If Schmidt bombs, then I will have defitnely dealt players with legit value esp at those salaries, but if Schmidt gets his act together, I will have easily acquired more than I gave-up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And don't forget about his number one hit "Sunglasses at Night". Man, I loved that song!