Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Purple Row :: A Colorado Rockies Blog

Purple Row :: A Colorado Rockies Blog

A nice Rockies blog.

I have been thinking about the lack of power in Colorado. It had been axiomatic that playing in COL makes for good-to-great Roto hitters.

Lots of ink is being spilled on Todd Helton's struggles, but I'm more interested in why Preston Wilson can't hit. I am also curious why no Jeffrey Hammonds-type emerged - comes from nowhere and has a outlier season.

The most obvious avenue of exploration is the new steroids policy. I prefer to think of "steroids" as more of a recovery-enhancement tool, but the effect is the same - dramatic decrease in production.

I caution (again) that world class athletes will adjust to their lack of corner-cutting that recovery-enhancement drugs and supplements allowed. This may take a couple more months, but I do expect it to occur this season and be in full effect next year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What is Todd Helton's reasoning for his continual slump at the plate? I don't see many Rocky games, so I can't tell whether he isn't making contact or is not driving the ball, or both?