Thursday, September 14, 2006

Armando Benitez

ESPN.com - MLB - MLB Transactions: "Placed pitcher Armando Benitez on the 60-day disabled list with right knee inflammation"

A Roto gift! The Giants did me a kindness by disbaling Benitez and allowing me the opportunity to fish in the free agent pool for a replacement.

Without the ability to waive an active player, I could only sit and take solace that Armando wasn't hurting my WHIP.

More painful was watching Mike Stanton sit in the pool for several days while accruing saves.

I scanned the list of available free agents and was nonplussed.

I am leaning towards grabbing a more typical arm in the Giants bullpen in the event that manager Felipe Alou defies all his previous SF closing decisions and goes with a younger player - Kevin Correia.

He has bounced between the rotation, bullpen and minor leagues for three seasons. I hope it is time the Giants settle him in the bullpen and see what he can do.

After all, Benitez is no sure thing in 2007 and neither is Mike Stanton. Someone has to save games.


No comments: