Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Ask Rotomusing

Q12: Eric W. asks:
"Do you think Travis Hafner could continue to be undervalued next yeardue to the late season injury. Despite his numbers he's not mentionedin any MVP conversations and generally seems like a guy people haveslept on the past two years. In the (AL/NL) traditional drafts Iparticipated in he had an average draft position of 33. After leadingthe AL in both EQA and VORP is it feasible to see him slip again orhas he officially moved into the top tier?Also, what do you kind of value do you think he carry in a 2007 auction?"

Rotomusing responds:
"Thanks for the email.

The only thing holding Hafner back from being a late-first/early second round pick is his DH-only status.

With his success and David Oritz', I expect any unrealized value is gone.

In my AL-only, Hafner was protected at $32, and many teams tried to play the DH-only angle to acquire him cheaply.

No go, and his current owner has no intentions of dealing him before next year's draft.

He is an elite hitter, and a well-recognized one. Expect his 2007 draft value to reflect that. I'd happily select him in the second round."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm curious to know your thoughts on Mark Teahen. He seems to be the one with offensive projections all over the map.

ericwyman said...

I really should proofread my emails better :)

Maybe he'll always be my binky because I actually sniffed him out going into his rookie season, but in an AL-only league I have to rank him top four among the hitters (Rodriguez, Hafner, Ortiz, Ramirez). Maybe even number one. I realize that leaping Arod is a tall order, I guess I just feel that strongly about his reliability, especially when you look at the difference in value between those two players.

Thanks again for your input.