Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Cliff Lee Traded!

A couple days ago, I provided four actual trades for closers to see what the current value is for Saves in AL-Only leagues. There are legitimate reasons to de-value closers in mixed leagues and also in AL- and NL-Only ones, too, but I am not sure that is being practiced outside of "expert" leagues.

Today, I want to provide some market data for the value of Indians' lefty Cliff Lee. He has been nothing but stunning this season with a 0.96 ERA and 0.56 WHIP in 37.2 innings. More remarkable is his K/BB ratio of 16:1. His previous carrer best was about 3:1 when he won 18 games in 2005.

No one believes Lee will keep this up, but one could easily accept that the K:BB signals something very positive. I did and made this trade yesterday. Included are the salaries and contracts because this is a keeper league and those cannot be disentangled from the players values. An A contract has two more seasons after this one. A B has two with the otion of extending the contract before next season, and a C contract runs out after this season ends.

I get $7B Cliff Lee, $1A Willie Bloomquist and $7A Brandon Inge. I dealt $18C Ivan Rodriguez, $5C Erick Aybar, $4A Manny Delcarmen and minor leaguer Mike Moustakas. Additionally, I opened a spot to activate Ben Francisco so Bloomquist goes to the waiver pool at the same time.

I'm feeling some regret as I am not 100% convinced on Lee, and I hold on to minor leaguers way past their rational, expected value. However, this morning's news that Brandon Inge will catch and likely open 2009 as the Tigers' starting backstop is helping salve the wound.

Inge's new tune: I'll catch for Tigers

No comments: