Wednesday, July 13, 2005

All Star break

One more day, and it is over.

I hate the All-Star break not because players get three days off and Roto comes to a halt, but because I can't stand reading obsequious articles about the game.

It sucks. The best part of the All-Star break was the Futures game, but Selig & Co. moved it to Sunday. I guess it took away from the All-Star festivity stupidity of the HR contest.

Why in all Hell would Jason Stark write about that?!?!? In this case, I am glad for the Insider wall that prevents its perusal.

What I like about the Futures game is it is a chamce for independently-selected minor leaguers to be seen on national TV. By "independently-selected" I mean the manager of the AL team or NL team doesn't get to lard-up his roster with his own players a la Joe Torre.

The ones who select the teams have vested interest in picking the right future stars. MLB managers only need to placate their own players.

A couple thoughts from the futures game:

1. Joal Zumaya threw gas. I should have drafted him this past season.

2. Chris Young was effortless fielding. I'm glad I drafted him this past season.

3. Y. Betancourt of Seattle flashed serious leather. Michale Morse had better not get used to SS in Seattle. I'll draft him next year.

No comments: