Saturday, July 23, 2005

Robinson Cano

Yanks' Cano Playing as if He Belongs - New York Times

A very flattering article on Cano. If you like that sort of article, it is a nice read. Generally, I do not, but I am still in shock he went for $23 in my AL league, and now, I am beginning to accept that he will be an easy keeper (in a homer Yankee league) at that price. With that background, I read it.

Cano had gone undrafted in our minor league draft only a month earlier - partly due to lack of ability of the teams in the league and partly due to the unlikelihood the Yanks would not trade him after signing Tony Womack for two years. Even I passed him in favor of Elijah Dukes and Chris Young. And after a 2-23 start, I gave that decision no additional thought.

While Dukes and Young have done nothing to lead me to conclude I made a mistake, I do have some regrets in not recognizing a $20+ player. Now, I do not believe Cano is a $20+ player, but I accept others do. I am not adverse to participating in "greater fool" valuations. If another team will buy Cano at $23 then I can use a $23 Cano to get something I deem underr-valued, and to use something over-valued to do it makes it only more satisfying.

That is what bothers me and what keeps me interested in following Cano.

FWIW, I see Cano as a $15 +/- $4 - the same price all starting middle infielders fetch.

No comments: