Friday, July 01, 2005

Mark Kotsay

Mark Kotsay Career Statistics

I don't get all the hoopla surrounding Mark Kotsay. To read the press reports, he's a great player. To read reports that he can't be had in a trade without paying the most outrageous of demands i.e Robinson Cano, Melky Cabrera and Phillip Hughes, I am left baffled.

He is a 10-15 HR 31-year-old being paid $7 million. Am I missing something or is a $300,000 23-year-old 2B with the same current power worth more? A lot more?

My guess (and casting dispersions will never stop me) is the national writers, specifically Peter Gammons, are so thick with Billy Beane that they willing participate as usefull idiots for his trade negotiating.

And given the laziness that seems to be a major qualification for being a sports reporter, other ones pick-up the cue from the national reporters and further spread the disinformation.

As Kotsay does not have the career to back-up the hype, this is the simplest explanation.



No comments: