Monday, September 26, 2005

Aaron Heilman

He's saved two of the last three wins for the Mets with Ol' Roberto Hernandez garnering the other.

As I picked-up Heilman to replace Tyler Walker, I have a vested interest in this development. While I did consider the possibility of Heilman closing (every reliever I pick-up begins with that scenario), I mostly wanted him for decent middle relief innings with the possibility of a couple wins.

After adding him to my team, I began to read the local NY sports columnists, and they would suggest Heilman as the closer. My hopes rose.

Unfortunately, I do not see the Mets going into next year wanting to build off this season's success with an unproven closer. Add in that there should be several available (Wagner, Farnsworth, Urbina, Ryan, Dempster, Jones, Gordon, Wickman, Mesa, Hoffman), my hopes are seriously tempered.

In Heilman's favor would be the money necessary to sign one of these proven closers could be used to address 1B, 2B and C either via free agency or a contract trade.

No comments: