Friday, September 16, 2005

Ronny Cedeno

A 3rd post on Ronny Cedeno.

He is out for the season and currently carries a $10 free agent pool salary.

The issue is whether to waive him and pick-up another player from the pool.

He is defintely a "pre-sleeper". GM Jim Hendry says he will be in the 2006 line-up at either 2B or SS. However, Dusty baker is the manager and Todd Walker will be at 2B, and Neifi Perez at SS.

I do not see any way Cedeno is given everyday ABs, and I suspect other teams in my league will conclude similarly if they are aware of Cedeno at all.

As such, I believe he can be waived this season and obtained at the draft next year for less than $10.

A player whom I equate Cedeno to right now in terms of draft day salary is Felipe Lopez of Cincinnati. He was in a similar situation as Cedeno - purported to be in the 2005 lineup- and he went for $5 at the end of the draft. Also, FLo had two veterans with which to compete in D'Angelo Jimenez at 2B and Rich Aurilia at SS and the comparison becomes eerily similar.

While projecting any unknown quantity to breakout like Flo 2005 (20/70/13/.280) is silly, I can see Cedeno being Bill Hall helpful

With the Crusty Dusty factor, I think $5 is the upper limit of his draft salary with a possibility of undrafted being the lower one.

No comments: