Friday, September 23, 2005

Hunter Pence

I am always thinking who I want to grab next Spring in my various minor league drafts.

In the NL, Stephen Drew and Ryan Zimmerman appear to be the top two candidates with Zimmerman possibly making the Nats Opening Day roster.

Given the 3rd pick is my worst case scenario, I'd prefer to have three or four names lined-up for that spot.

Hunter Pence is definitely right there. (Whaaaaat? You're going to take another Astros OF prospect who can mash and risk waiting three or four years a la Jason Lane?)

He hit 31 HR in Single A this year which primes him to begin next season in AA. This is close enough to the majors to envision a call-up in 2006 or a shot in 2007. (I know the Jason lane thing again.)

He also hit over .300 which leads to me hope he will have a decent OBP regardless of non-Hermida-esque walk rates.

Anyhow, he is currently at my #3 spot after Zimmerman and Drew.

No comments: