Saturday, August 29, 2009

Fantasy Sports: Dropping ESPN Insider

Fair or unfair, I have discontinued my ESPN Insider subscription. At $39.99, it does not offer much value given the proliferation of free analysis on the internet.

Do I believe it unfair that informational content is essentially free? Yes, but I also think it is Motown-esque exploitive for any business to use the free content of bloggers to make money off their product too or for ESPN to use that free content and not credit it.

Now I have current paid subscriptions to Baseball Prospectus and Mock Draft Central and expect one of them to lapse.

7 comments:

SamuraiJack said...

I dropped it last year.. I got tired of throwing away the required magazine subscription every month just to get a discount on my fantasy baseball team.. and now those are free so adios..

Unknown said...

I actually called to see if I could get a rate that didn't include the magazine and was told I could not. ESPN did allow you to donate the magazine which I did.

Anonymous said...

Eric-Ray here. Do you know for a fact that they use other content for their sites without crediting the site?

Anonymous said...

Eric-Ray again. What other sites do you use for baseball and football? I still subscribe to the ESPN insider, mainly for the Olney articles.

IMHO said...

Listening to Podcasts, Berry and Ravitz mentioned they read blogs but don't name them.

When I read Karabell's stuff, he'd always mention something I read somewhere else or something I wrote without credit. It happened too frequently for me to dismiss as coincident.

All these guys are freinds with the fantasy industry and the complete lack of credit is to other fantasy sites is implausible.

As a matter of fact, I absolutley belioeve part of being a true fantasy expert is reading everyone else stuff. Credit it.

IMHO said...

Other sites I use:

Rotosynthesis
Fake Teams
Trying Football Outsiders
Baseball Think Factory
Baseball Reference
Love what Rudy and Grey do at Razzball but don't read as frequently as they deserve.
Baseball America
BP Radio

I listen to several podcasts, too. Rotowire, the ESPNs, Baseball HQ, Baseball America

IMHO said...

My bad. Have begun to replace the ESPn Fantasy Football Podcast with CBS Sports one.

Analogous to Baseball HQ in baseball podcasting - very serious.

Berry and Ravitz are not serious enough.