Friday, January 01, 2010

MLB Trade Rumors: New York Mets & Chicago Cubs Trade

After the Chicago Cubs signed CF Marlon Byrd, word came out the team was in search of back-end rotation help along with bullpen assistance. I quipped the nothing exciting was happening unless the team found a way to unload the $54MM owed to SP Carlos Zambrano over the next three years.

So as I cleaned up the driveway of snow and slush, I was listening to Talking Baseball Live podcast, and Paul Greco dropped real names in a potential trade. He gleaned this info through his Mets contacts at Baseball Digest Daily.

The rumored offer was Carlos Zambrano for 2B Luis Castillo, AAA OF Fernando martinez and a AA prospect.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

As a mets fan I would do it... fernando martinez's value has dropped dramatically and he is always injured...If we can get carlos zambrano behind johan santana then that would be a nice 1-2 punch. Plus, Santana could be someone who can keep zambrano in line. I dont see why the cubs would do this deal unless the highly regard martinez or its just clearly a salarly dump

IMHO said...

The contract of Zambrano scares me. If I were the Cubs I do it and take adavnatage of the market change and sign Pineiro and another SP for less than the $18MM per season I owed Z.