Saturday, June 24, 2006

Ask Rotomusing

Q4: Ben TG asks, "I'm struggling in my 12 team mixed roto-league. In a 6x6 league (OBA, R, HR, RBI, SB, Total Bases) I keep playing matchups in my infield and guessing incorrectly. I get D. Lee back next week so my 1B, OF and DH are set with Lee, Dunn, Crawford, Granderson and Swisher. Among Tracy, Cuddyer, Freel and Zimmerman who should I be starting at 2B and 3B?

I can only keep one position player and one pitcher, and each has to have been drafted after round 7. Players are listed with the draft round it would cost me to keep, not necessarily where they were drafted this year. Position Players:Hanley Ramirez (15th round)Ryan Zimmerman (13th round)Curtis Granderson (12th round)Nick Swisher (11th round) Pitchers:B. Myers (12th round)C. Capuano (10th round)Jer. Weaver (8th round)Jer. Sowers (8th round)


A: Rotomusing responds:

"Thanks for the email.

Chad Tracy and Ryan Zimmerman are remarkably similar season-to-date. Tracy has walked 24 times in 284 ABs, and Zimmerman 24 in 277.

Without being able to break a tie using plate discipline, I'd select the player with a more established track record and that would be Tracy.

The Ryan Freel/Michael Cuddyer decision is not as simple because neither player is an "in-ink" starter. In this case, I'd keep Freel for the SB and better track record in OBA.

Cuddyer looks like he may finally reach the power levels his 2001 AA season. In a mixed league format, though, I see little reason to take the risk that he continues on that pace.

Amongst the possible hitting keepers, I'd select the one with the best OBA. A good OBA will correlate with increased runs scored. In this case, Nick Swisher is clearly the best choice.

The pitcher decision is somewhat easier as I prefer more established players. I'd go with the new Mike Mussina (good pitcher/great college), Chris Capuano.

He has improved upon last season's breakout year with much better control and a similar strikeout rate."

No comments: