Friday, June 02, 2006

Jorge Julio

Estrada no longer bitter over trade

Being a New Yorker, I do not have many opportunities to see Arizona games on television. (With three young children, I even fewer to plan to, much less attend, see games in Arizona!)

However, I do have cable (And, no, I am not happy contributing, however little, to the nightmare that is Charles Dolan and the Knicks.)

With that, I was able to watch the end of the Braves/D'backs game on TBS.

Man! I hate watching my pitchers especially when it is Jorge Julio getting his first chance as the closer.

He gave-up a bomb to the first batter he faced, Andruw Jones and a frickin' lay-zer beam off the bat of Jeff Francoeur. However, he did notch the save Pepto-Bismol style.

I am glad he did because a blown save would have likely destroyed a second opportunity.

The luck involved with Francoeur's bullet being caught is the reason the team's closer is often as result of luck than ability. If Chad Tracy doesn't nab it, then Julio may have blown his shot at redemption.

Because Tracy did, however, Julio will get another chance, and if it goes much better, then Julio may remain the closer as 2-2 in saves merits some leeway to blow one and keep the job.

No comments: