Friday, April 28, 2006

Cole Hamels

Cole Hamels dominated in what may end-up being the best pitched game in AAA this season – 14Ks in 7 innings with no walks and three hits.

I have touted him as a sleeper all off-season with the expectations he will fill Ryan Madson’s middle relief role and be a very dark dark horse candidate to close if Tom Gordon should falter.

I still hold to that forecast despite some reservations about his back and the strain that would put on him in the bullpen – warming-up/not being used, warming-up/being used in 5 out of every 7 days.

If he were in the rotation I would not grab him immediately because he needs only be mediocre (4.50/1.40) to remain there, but in the bullpen, I would grab him as quick as I could type the email and submit the transaction.

No comments: