Monday, April 10, 2006

NL Draft

My NL-only draft is this evening. I am nowhere near as prepared as I was for my AL one. But I have much less money ($88 vs $161) and a glaring hole/need - saves.

Fortunately, there are many closers available - Wagner, Isringhausen, Gordon, Benitez, Gagne, Florida closer plus obvious back-ups, Danys Baez and Tim Worrell.

All the Atlanta relievers setting-up Reitsma are available. Someone is going to luck into a cheap closer this year. I was all set to draft Joey Devine 4th overall in the minor league draft until he was recalled. I was all set to go hard for him in the auction, but 7 ER and 11 runners in one inning of work spanning two games has me seriously doubting his ability to be successful any time soon.

Heck, I like John Thomson more to close than Devine right now.

In terms of hitting, I have 10 of my 15 filled (an extra UT). I may go for one stud hitter if I can get him at $30, but there are many teams with fewer hitters protected and much more money.

I may satisfy myself with 5 $5-$12 hitters. Hopefully, that will be enough behind an offense lead by Adam Dunn, Ryan Howard, Chase Utley, Raphael Furcal and Juan Pierre.

Even if I don't get the offense of my dreams, I know I have SB to deal for that big bopper.

I have 6 minor league draft picks and will take Troy Tulowitzki with my first at #4. #8, 13, 16,17, and 20 are more dependent on who the other teams take and this league is much more astute regarding prospects. (My original picks were #8 and #20. After several trades, the most notable Jorge Sosa for #4 and #13, I have 6 picks.)

The top three picks will be Stephen Drew, Justin Upton and Chris Young. I'd take any of those three is they fell to me at #4 and hope for TT at #8.

I know Saltalamacchia will be picked between my first two selections. The issue who will be the other two.

I'm not overly concerned because there are many players I would feel comfortable selecting.

2 comments:

savethejellyfish said...

Are you going to take Ryan Shealy? Or Guzman? I did a 16-mixed this weekend and no one took him, although I have my eye on him as a waiver wire player if Helton gets injured or he is traded.

Anonymous said...

I had Shealy targeted as a cheap $1 DL pick, but the inflation was nuts and he went for $6.

I have some worries that he is going to need elbow surgery, though, so I didn't want to go that far for him.

Joel Guzman is on my farm and I expect some hitting help from him for at least half the season.

I noticed he played 1B for Las Vegas.