Thursday, May 19, 2005

An extra Click or Two

Kolb demoted as closer | ajc.com

Rotoworld, Rotowire and Fanball have three different takes on the new closer in Atlanta with the assertion of confidence the highest at Rotoworld fro Adam Bernero.

After reading blurbs on Rotowire (via Yahoo) and Fanball, I knew I must check the reporting in the Atlanta Journal Constituion.

In it, Bobby Cox is quoted saying the Braves would "piece together" the closer role by committee.

Did Rotoworld jump the gun? I say they did because this morning's blurb positively states Bernero as the closer while the original sources , mlb.com and AJC, quote the Atlanta manager saying a closer-by-committee.

Here lies a common problem with any Roto site. There is always the chance of being wrong. (As I know. See here, 2nd paragraph.) This leads the users of the sites to make strategic decisions that turnout to be unhelpful and could then damage the credibility of the site used.

I combat this possibility by reading every one of those sites with one thing in mind - the writers of those blurbs also have Roto teams and tend to color their analysis based on the players they have on their rosters and the ones on their competitors rosters. If I doubt the analysis or the analysis hints at conjecture, I will read the original source (usually linked in the blurb.) This redundancy is normally enough to lessen the possibility of the blurb writer's Roto biases from providing faulty info.

And in some cases, like Jason Giambi, I will buck the conventional wisdom (CW) and stick with my personal analysis.

Use this as a lesson in caution - check the sources behind the Roto analysis whenever possible.

No comments: