Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Messes in the Bullpen

This was certainly the year to punt saves in NL leagues. With the mess in Chicago, San Francisco and Cincinnati to injuries in Florida, St Louis, and Colorado to ineffectiveness in Milwaukee and Atlanta, any team could have grabbed multiple closers for nothing. (Personally, I lost Mike Adams but gained Tyler Walker.)

I have no doubt this will lead many teams to punt saves at the draft next year. However, I wonder whether or not this year's morass will repeat itself.

With so many pitchers getting a chance to establish themselves as closers, wouldn't it be more likely that their will be less turnover next year? I can see this because the 2005 closer crop will be inexpensive and proven.

This is soemthing I will be watching for the next 10 months.

No comments: