Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Joel Guzman

Widely reported, the Dodgers met on Sunday to hammer out their likely roster. I checked Monday's papers and mlb.com for some follow-up.

There was nothing except likely line-ups which included Jose Cruz in LF. Needless to say (but I'll say it anyway), Guzman looked like he was headed to AAA.

Today, the LA Times reports, Guzman is one of three hitters the Dodgers want to keep primarily as a pinch-hitter.

I find it implausible that Guzman would make the team and remain a pinch hitter for an extended period of time. His presence would signal an imminent trade of Jose Cruz or a decrease playing time for him.

And to back-up my assertion, I quote Grady Little:

"There are few people who don't think he can help the team right now. Standing in the outfield, he looks a lot like Dave Winfield, and at the plate he looks like Dave Winfield too."

Does that jibe with a Lenny Harris role?

Fortunately, Guzman is SS-eligible for the draft so carrying him as a middle infielder is acceptable while waiting for him to be the next Dave Winfield!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you really think Guzman will open in the bigs? I read that Repko is going to be on the roster. I'm sure Ledee is there, with Drew, Lofton, and Cruz. That's a full plate right there. Best case scenario (for me) is for Guzman to start at AAA and come up in May, after our draft, since I have him on my farm and already have more good players than I can protect. To hell with his career. Hahaha.

Anonymous said...

Dreg,

It doesn't make sense, but everything seems to point towards Guzman making the team.

Check out where Delwyn Young is going to play in AAA. If it is LF, adjust your roster accordingly.