Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Jesus Colome

Major League Baseball : News : Major League Baseball News

Back from the dead? In an off-season dominated by Chad Orvella-philia, the Devil Rays look to be staging a serious closer competition.

Today's article on Jesus Colome is glowing. The question is how much is just positive encouragement and how much is a signal that Colome is the favorite to win the competition.

At the outset of the article, I would think Shinji Mori began the spring as the favorite.

"We scouted [Mori] well," Maddon said. "I'd seen the videos and all that stuff. We were kind of excited about having him..."

Early in camp, Mori, using an impressive splitter, looked like he had the right stuff to become the closer. Catcher Toby Hall called Mori's stuff "explosive."

Unfortunately, there is nothing similar to that about Colome from Maddon's mouth.

What is clear is Colome wants the job. He asked to pitch yesterday after throwing the previous day versus minor leaguers, and he struck out the side albeit an unimpressive side - Kevin Youkilis, Mike Lowell and Josh Bard. What better way to impress your manager.

The article ends with Colome expressing his desire for the job and sounding like a good teammate if he doesn't get it.

"All of Spring Training, I've been thinking about how I want to close. That's why I work hard every day, I want the job. ... If [Maddon] gives it to me, I'll take it. But I'll do whatever he wants."

I would move him up a couple notches.

No comments: