Tuesday, March 21, 2006

John Hunt

I picked-up my copy of Sports Weekly's Fantasy Guide this afternoon prior to boarding the train home. This is something I have enjoyed while working in NYC. (However, I am still sore about it no longer being Baseball Weekly.)

Regardless, I do look forward to the issue because the old schoolers in one of my league's use the drafted values in the NL LABR draft as a guide to their values. (Juan Pierre $32! I have made him available at $33. Now I expect a little more interest.) They do this despite the fact the LABR draft is 5X5. (A change that did not thrill me either.)

What makes this year's issue bittersweet is the announcement by John Hunt that he will no longer be contributing his weekly fantasy column - by far the mustest must-read in Rotisserie baseball prior to the ubiquity of the internet, and even, then a must-read.

I became aware that something may be amiss late last week when I went to the USAToday website to get an idea of when the Leviathan would be on the newsstand. On the website, Stephen Gardner was listed as the Roto expert. When I bought the issue, I worriedly leafed through the issue for by-lines as I walked to Track 104. I saw Mr. Hunt's name and thought maybe Mr. Gardner was only filling in.

Once I in my seat (a window one so I can get better XM Radio reception to listen to Spring Training games) and my knees up against the all-too-close seat in front of me, I went to the intro to the fantasy section.

At the end of the third-to-last paragraph, my worries were realized. Mr. Hunt will no longer be the fantasy baseball columnist. I was a little saddened as a piece of an important part of my life will exist only as a fond memory. For those, I owe thanks to John Hunt.

However, after devouring the results of the drafts, I went back to the beginning and read in the FAQ section on page three that John Hunt had a blog. After putting the kids to bed, I checked it (and added a link to it) and realized he just started the blog!

Hopefully, he will post more frequently than once a week the Publication Formerly Known As Baseball Weekly provided.

Thanks for the good times and the confidence that I could offer advice and analysis.

Sincerely,
Rotomusing

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What's the link to his blog?