Friday, March 24, 2006

DL Replacements

Every draft, there are players drafted who begin the year on the DL. At the end of the draft, his owner can elect to replace him immediately and have the replacement player stats count from season's beginning or replace him at a later time when possibly an undrafted player emerges.

I tend towards waiting because there is usually a playing time situation or two that changes in the first couple weeks of the season.

That does not mean I wouldn't replace a player on the DL right after the draft. My list typically consists of any extra players I have ranked who weren't drafted. Many times these players are indistinguishable from the final 20+ players drafted at $1.

Some of the players I think will go undrafted but could still be helpful are listed below.

ATL: Jeff Jurries or whomever is the nominal rightside platoon partner of Adam LaRoche, Wilson Betemit
NYM: Ramon Castro, Endy Chavez
FLA: Chris Aguila, Robert Andino
PHI: Alex Gonzlaez
WAS: Damian Jackson, Daryle Ward

STL: Aaron Miles, Hector Luna, the 5th OF, Brian Daubach
CHI: John Mabry
HOU: None
MLW: Gabe Gross
PIT: Freddie Sanchez, Jody Gerut
CIN: None

LA: Ricky Ledee, Jason Repko, Hee Seop Choi
SF: Todd Linden
SD: Eric Young, Geoff Blum
COL: None
AZ: Luis Terrero, Jeff Davanon, Damion Easley

With a list like this, no questions need to be asked why I usually wait around to see if something better comes along. If I have priority to select from this type of group, I will usually do so. In this case, I would be focused on the STL OF and 2B job - neither of which are without considerable issues.

Freddy Sanchez is a nice player, too, because he should step in and get regular ABs if Randa or Castillo come-up lame.

I also like the SB plays like Endy Chavez and Damian Jackson.

All that said, the relative merits of any of these tyes of players needs to be kept in perspective. The best of these are still not great.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How about an AL version of this? My draft is on Thursday, and I'd like the advice!