Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Jim Cramer

I know he isn't a baseball player. I listen to a recording of his show every afternoon on the train ride home. (Yes, it is a day late but you can't benefit from his advice unless you can buy before the market opens as each rec seems to pop 10% immediately upon the open.)

Anyhow, yesterday he sold Dannon based on a report in USA Today that said twice as many Americans ate yogurt once a week compared to ten years prior. (No pop but 10X normal daily volume.)

What struck me about this was the spur-of-the-moment quality of the recommendation. It was as if he had run out of good stocks and needed something. Voila! A yogurt story that can plausibly be tied to demographic trends. (A problem with yogurt is there is not a big gap between premium brands like Dannon and off-brand names. Best-of-breed means little with easy substitution.)

The same thing happens with Roto posts. There are times when nothing is bubbling to the top of my Roto mind. Normally, this is more a function of distraction than writer's block. I am always thinking of baseball and Roto implications. When I need to focus, a quick perusal of a roster usually brings me back to what is important - Rotisserie baseball. And to whatever trade proposal I am thinking of offering or accepting.

And the point of this is.......

No comments: