Tuesday, January 17, 2006

More on Baez

This weekend Baez said he will sign next year as a closer. This recalls my advice on Ueggy Urbina this past season - a premium can be paid on Baez for his 2007 season.

How high should one go on him at draft time? A typical middle reliever/back-up closer should go for $1-$7 depending on how solid the solid closer is. Eric Gagne is questionable coming off elbow surgery.

A closer will go for $20-$35 depending, again, on how solidly he holds the job. A Joe Borowski may only aspire to the low end of $20. Brad Lidge would be at the high end. I would place Baez in the middle at $27.

Simply giving equal weight to his back-up closer value in 2006 and his 2007 closer value, you arrive at a 2006 draft price of $17.

I can't see many teams, myself included, going that high if Gagne is looking good by Spring's end, but I can see myself spending $11 or so.

No comments: