Sunday, January 01, 2006

Wes Helms

What better way to kick the new year than with a post about Wes Helms.

He just signed with the Florida Marlins.

The questions about him are three-fold. 1st, can he still play? The Brewers gave him a two-year, $5 million contract after his breakout 2003 season. Clearly, they thought he'd remain at that level.

Two seasons later, the Brewers let him become a free agent with no effort made to bring him back. This decision was likely made very early in 2005 as Ned Yost gave him little time in the field and used him almost exclusively as a pinch hitter. However, Helms did very well in that role, which leads me to believe Helms can still play.

The second question is whether or not he will get enough ABs to be a valuable Roto player. My intuition says he will because there just aren't enough players as accomplished as he is on the Marlins roster. The only one to hit more than his 2003 HR total of 23 is Miguel Cabrera. My guess is I could have stated "more career HRs than his 2003 HR total" but why give a more complex explanation when a simpler one will do?

Thirdly, where would he get the ABs? 3B! The major complication here is the Marlins decided to move Cabrera to third last season. However, I wonder whether the fire sale changed that scenario. As of now, Jeremy Hermida is the starting CF, but there is no one in either left or right if Cabrera plays 3B. Even if Cabrera remains in RF, the Fish would still be lacking a LF.

Because of this, I suspsect Helms will play 3B and Cabrera will remain in RF. However, just as Helms, Borowski and Reese saw the chance to recover their reputations in South Florida, I would not be surprised to see an OF make the same decision. But for this to change my scenario, two washed-up OFs must sign there. I do not see that right now.

Wes Helms will get 400 ABs and will return to a respectable Roto level - 15 HR, 50 RBI and an AVG in the .260 range.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If Wes Helms is going to get another chance to live up to the 2003 season it should be next season. I think he's been injured most of the last 2 seasons and his decline in numbers doesn't help his starting chances. He's a good utility guy that can play 3B/1B/OF. The Marlins are gonna look odd next year with the new faces but all the youth they have could be a threat in years to come.

Anonymous said...

I agree. He is 29 so his window of opportunity is closing.

If he proves incapable of succeeding as an everyday player next season, I believe he will spend the rest of his major league days as a pinch hitter/utility corner-outfielder.

That was his fate until Florida bailed.

I do like him. Heck, I bid $17 on him after his 2003 season!