Thursday, January 26, 2006

The Mets

Minaya Hits the Talk-Radio Circuit, and Rolls With Most of the Punches - New York Times

I do believe he is focused on adding Hispanic players to the Mets team and using non-Hispanic players to get them.

To quote the article:

Since becoming general manager in September 2004, Minaya has been straightforward in proclaiming his desire to see the Mets become a popular brand name in Hispanic communities inside and outside of New York and for the Mets to be seen as a desirable destination for Hispanic stars.

Dealing proven starting pitchers for journeymen middle relievers is not wise. Then trying to acquire another Hispanic starting pitcher, Jose Contreras, only feeds the beast.

I try to separate my political/societal views from my Roto ones. And if the market is selling Hispanic players cheap, then the Mets are very wise to take advantage. Just as any Roto owner is wise to do the same.

Personally, I don't think Minaya is obtaining Hispanic players at a discount. Heck, I don't think he has any business running a team. How are Grady Sizemore and Cliff Lee doing?

What I don't do is jump to the accusation that Minaya's actions are racist. He has a plan that is politically incorrect, but it is a wise one as the Mets home market is increasing Hispanic and catering to them makes good sense.

What I am willing to say that others seems to dance around is, in fact, he is doing it. I just don't mind. Yet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yea, it's pretty noticable that Minaya has been collecting more Hispanic players. I've got nothing against it, but he seems to be giving up more than what he gets in return. Look at the Seo deal. Maybe Seo didn't fit in with the Mets, but he pitched really well while up in the bigs.