Saturday, January 14, 2006

Texas Rangers

What defines the Rangers is their tremendous infield – Texeria, Young and Blalock (in that order.) The definition had previously included Rot stud/real-life dud, Alphonso Soriano but he was dealt to the Expos, I mean, Nationals.

And it is this trade that offers the two most intriguing players for the team, Ian Kinsler and Brad Wilkerson. (Disclaimer: Both players were high minor league draft picks of mine – Kinsler #2 overall last season and Wilkerson #3 overall 5 years ago.)

Yesterday, I listened to the Fantasy Focus show on XM Radio while strolling The Avenue of the Americas in NYC. The guest was a gentleman form the website, newbergreport.com. He lauded Kinsler as a potential 25 HR/80 RBI/.280 AVG/20 SB player. That seems excessive because it makes him a $40 Roto player in keeper leagues. I like him. I really do, but that type of performance is going to make him one of the best in Roto and that I do not see. His walk rate has not changed (one every ten ABs) and his slugging was under .500 in the AA texas League and the AAA Pacific Coats League - both considered hitter's leagues. I do see him being mentioned in ROY talks assuming he wins the job from the more experienced D'Angelo Jimenez.

Jimenez fell apart last season after posting two very promising seasons (63 BB in 2003 and 82 in 2004). He maintained his plate discipline during his AAA banishment. Do not be surprised to see him surprise. Recall the amount of PT Dave Dellucci received with his batting eye. Also keep in mind that he just turned 28.

Brad Wilkerson had a terrible year that coincided with a sterner steroid test. I do not think that is the case, but that conclusion can be sold to cast doubt upon his value. Personally, I attribute the drop to the cavernous RFK Stadium and injury. He did maintain his batting eye so I expect a rebound in Texas to the 2004 levels, and if Buck bats him in the heart of the order, I see a career year.

The Rangers spent a lot of money/players on pitching. I don’t expect Millwood to "Chan Ho Park" the Rangers and Tom Hicks, but I also do not expect him to match last season’s performance. A high 3s ERA seems reasonable to expect. I didn’t like Adam Eaton as a NL pitcher in a pitcher’s park so I can’t see myself liking him in the AL and a hitter’s park.

In the minors, the Rangers have DVD – Diamond, Volquez and Danks. In the same Fantasy Focus, the newbergreport.com gentleman said Volquez is the best amongst the three. Until Texas actually produces a good SP, I am going to pass on all of them while remembering that opinion.

No comments: