Thursday, February 16, 2006

Gordon or Wood

My poll showed the overwhelming majority favoring the selection of Brandon Wood over Alex Gordon, 13-3.

My hesitancy in selecting Wood stems from the clearer path Gordon has to the 2006 MLB roster, and I always think production this year versus later years has to be weighted more heavily.

What brings me back to Wood (in addition to the ceaseless positive coverage Wood receives versus that of Gordon) is his 2005 season - 101 XBH in High A plus a few AAA ABs (19 and 3 XBH) with 43 HRs and 14 HRS in the AFL. 57 HRs as a 20-year-old is impossible to ignore.

What makes me think Gordon is Mark Teixeira, who burst on the scene following an ankle injury and half a minor league season. He is now a legitimate $35 hitter and was a $20 one in his rookie year. I sense Gordon can do the same, and he has some speed (23 SB in 25 attempts at Nebraska.)

At my 2002 Draft, Teixeira had the injured ankle and the team with the top pick passed on him in favor of...Esteban German! I don't want to make an Esteban German decision.

Another Draft experience makes me lean towards Wood. Last season, it was acknowledged that Ryan Howard was the best hitter available and would be the top pick but for Jim Thome. (I passed on him the season prior late in the 2nd round for the same reason.)

Howard fell all the way to me at the 6th pick. I happily selcted him seeing no risk. If he was dealt to the AL, then a 6th pick down the drain. if he stayed in the NL, then I had a $20+ 1B.

While there is little chance of Wood being dealt, he could be a Howard pick if I pass on him for what I forecast as a safer pick.

Unfortunately, John Manuel lists both as 2007 ETAs - along with a whole lot of other propsects I have had my eye on for the AL and NL drafts.

No comments: