Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Pedro Martinez

New York Post Online Edition: sports

Today's New York Post has an article on Pedro Martinez's injured piggy.

"...Because of all the shoe issues, Martinez is currently behind in where he typically is throwing-wise. "I normally come in throwing on the side," he said.

Martinez also said he was instructed by his doctor not to run. When he did do some running, he said there was some swelling and he cut the running short.... "

I know it is early and taking it slow in February does not indicate that April will be bad, but alarms did go off when I read his toe is still not healed and that he is putting a lot of faith in the curative powers of footwear.

The NYPost's Kevin Kernan in today's column has some quotes from Pedro. Want to ease your nerves about Pedro? Stop reading.

"I'm going to pitch," he (Pedro) promised. "I know it could affect my shoulder; that's the bad thing that could happen. If I don't protect myself down here," he said of the toe, "everything reflects on the shoulder."

It sure does. Dizzy Dean's pitching career came to an end because of a broken toe that altered his motion. Martinez has to be careful not to change his motion...."


I think Pedro just became untradable in keeper leagues. Whether he remains protectable is to be determined.

No comments: