Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Prospects

Baseball America - Prospect Pulse: Rankings By Position

I know a subscription is required to view the above link and I know Baseball America is expensive, but the rankings by position by John Manuel demonstrates the value of the publication.

Unless you have an incredibly deep minor league draft, and I don't in any of my leagues (two rounds), then this list will get you by nicely.

There are very few players who Mr. Manuel projects to be making an impact later than 2007, so it is perfect for Rotisserie/fantasy baseball keeper leagues. It also includes a lot of 2006 ETAs so non-keeper leagues benefit too.

By my quick count, there are 39 players listed with ETAs of 2006, 30 with 2007 and 11 with ETAs of 2008.

If you eliminate the 2006 ETAs who should make the Opening Day roster, there are 26 players who can provide immediate assitance to your team this year. (This may decrease as I do not include Craig Hansen, Justin Verlander, Anthony Reyes, or Jason Kubel.)

Should make the Opening Day roster:
1B Prince Fielder
1B Conor Jackson
2B Ian Kinsler
2B Josh Barfield
3B Ryan Zimmerman
SS Hanley Ramirez
SS Ronny Cedeno
OF Jeremy Hermida
SP Matt Cain
SP Jon Papelbon
SP Francisco Liriano
RP Bobby Jenks
RP Chris Ray

He also includes many non-ranked players to consider and a sleeper. The article is worth purchasing. Check the newsstands for the issue.

I am going to spend the next few days posting as many tidbits and thoughts about it as I can. It is that valuable.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the Brewers are going to be a fun team to watch. Their infield is really talented. I'm rooting for Tony Gwynn Jr. to pick it up and start playing like his Dad rather than his uncle Chris. Fielder is getting the early ROY nods. His homerun total should be high but the K's could also be up there. I agree with you in hoping Barfield takes over at 2nd rather than Bellhorn.

Anonymous said...

I'm not as confident Fielder will get the ROY. I like Hermida better, but a player I forgot about is Ryan Zimmerman.

I wonder if the award will be based on best team. If that is the case, Fielder does have a leg up, but if wither Florida or Washington are feel good stories....

Anonymous said...

What about Matt Murton?

I know Fielder has a good fantasy outlook, but I hear he cannot catch the ball. Fielder and Weeks will be fun to watch at the plate, but the Brewers infield could be very scary.

Be nice guys, I am not a fantasy baseball guy. I had to comment on the Rookie of the Year.