Sunday, February 19, 2006

Minor League Draft

The way I prepare for my minor league drafts consists of following Baseball America's Top Ten Prospects by organization throughout the winter and noting players I liked. This season I added John Sickels' opinions to the equation.

The players I usually note are the "obvious" ones, plus lower ranked ones with good power/speed combos/good walk rates for hitters and high strikeouts/low batting average against. Normally, I tend towards younger propsects, but I always try to find the Craig Wilson of the high minors - a player who can get recalled and produce in limited time.

With John M's list, I will likely apply the same criteria to those ranked players.

I looked over one of these lists. Specifically, the one I used for my 2003 NL minor league draft. Amongst the players I did not take were Adam LaRoche, Dontrelle Willis, Jeremy Hermida, Jose Castillo, and Brad Hawpe. Those I did take were Miguel Cabrera (7), Todd Linden (10), Scott Kazmir (14), Corey Hart (16), Jeff Francouer (21), Angel Guzman (22) and Jeff Baker (23).

A couple things pop out (Defintion: couple = four). First, I had a lot of picks. I usually do because I make trades to obtain them. Second, five of the six made the majors, and Angel Guzman would have if not for injuries. Third, even with six picks, I still missed very good players, and finally, I liked Jeff Francoeur more than Jeremy Hermida - a scenario that has changed.

No comments: