Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Sosa to Yanks?

At MLB Trade Rumors, ARod has been reported to have visited Sammy Sosa in the DR. This led to speculation that ARod was recruiting Sosa for the Yanks. (The original story is at ESPN.com)

If Sosa is willing to take on the Ruben Sierra role (150-300 ABs as a spare OF, DH and pinch-hitter), then I think, I think, it is a good move. He can back-up Matsui and Sheffield at the corner OF spots, and get a start or two per week as a DH. It seems to be a riskless move for the Yanks. If he has nothing left, he can sit on the bench or get released.

More importantly, I can count on one of the homer Yankee fans in my league to take Sosa to the high single digits at auction. I may even risk throwing him out for a $1 as there is little risk he will play if he is ineffective. If the Yanks didn't release him, I would at the first recall of 2006's unforeseen hot AAA call-up.

No comments: